Cart is empty $0.00 USD
Here is a personal Top 10 of some great country music sites which enthusiasts of traditional country music might enjoy and find useful. Also (at the end), a link to Dave Barnes’ monthly newsletters.
1. The website of veteran country music promoter, magazine editor and writer, Alan Cackett … http://www.alancackett.com/home
Alan Cackett has been promoting country music for over 50 years including bringing many top US country stars over for concerts; a prolific writer, for decades he has been contributing authoritative features and reviews to top country magazines including Country Music People, Country Music International and, more recently, Maverick (which he founded and edited before retiring from it a couple of years back). His website includes archives of many of his features (eg: well researched articles on the likes of the Everly Brothers, Don Gibson, Slim Whitman, Patsy Cline, The Louvin Brothers, Jean Shepard, Marty Robbins, and Merle Haggard – some 120 in total. http://www.alancackett.com/country-music-people-features). The website also includes Alan’s reviews of over 100 recent country releases. Well worth a visit!
2. The Archive Americana Roots Country Show – weekly on Monday evenings, on Radio Caroline – two hours of good country music presented by Derek Taylor, BACM’s Assistant Archivist, Press & Publicity Officer and Book Reviewer. Derek, the popular DJ, broadcaster and author of several Western novels, has been working with the archive since 1992. His programme features good solid country, always including several tracks from BACM’s extensive catalogue. Live on Mondays 7-9pm UK time (so tune in at 7pm in England, 1pm Nashville, 11am L.A. or 4am Sunday morning over in Sydney, Australia). To listen live, just tune in to http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/radioplayer2/index.html
The programme is repeated on Wednesdays 7-9pm UK time on Radio Caroline Flashback.
Each full programme can be downloaded later on http://derektaylor.podomatic.com/
3. Hillbilly-Music.com – a great information resource (loads of authoritive biographical information, discographies, snippets of news … “ go back in time to learn about old time country music in the early days”). http://www.Hillbilly-Music.com
4. PragueFrank’s Country Music Discographies. The ultimate resource for session and discography details, all genres including country.
5. Don Edwards. Check out the website http://www.donedwardsmusic.com/ of this cowboy balladeer, great Grammy nominated singer/guitarist – in our view the modern era’s most authentic interpreter of country and western/cowboy music – some great recordings, well worth a listen.
6. Country Music People, the Number One country magazine – from Austin to Nashville and beyond. Lots of country news and events and features – plus their authoritative reviews of all the latest releases! http://www.countrymusicpeople.co.uk/
7. Ridge Country. Ridge Radio is a local, community based, radio station in South East England but every Monday afternoon you can tune in for two hours of authentic country music. Each week they include several rare tracks from the archive. Mondays 3-5pm, UK time. http://www.ridgeradio.co.uk/ . Requests and feedback to Michael Van Boolen firstname.lastname@example.org , please put ‘Ridge Country’ as the email subject.
8. Website of Maxine Brown of the legendary ‘ The Browns’, great sublime ‘feel good’ country. http://themaxinebrown.com/ . Our thoughts go out to the Family at this time, following Jim Ed’s recent passing and Bonnie’s recent health scare.
9. Rattlesnake Annie – one of our favorite contemporary country roots artistes, a great ambassador worldwide of country/blues music: http://www.rattlesnakeannie.com/
10. Here are two great US radio shows playing great country music; brought to our notice by country music enthusiast and collector, Franz Schreiner in Germany. Tune in and listen online – Saturday evening and Sunday evening respectively:
Tennessee Country Classics on WDVX 89.9FM. Presented by Joe Bussard , one of the world’s leading collectors of blues and early bluegrass. On this great show, Joe chooses rare and seldom heard selections from his vast collection of 45 rpm records. Sundays, 5 – 6 p.m. EDT (Eastern Daylight Time); 10-11pm British time. Listen online at: http://www.wdvx.com/programs/programs/sunday-jubilee/tennessee-country-classics/
Old Time Country Music Jamboree for New Old Timers, on WEFT Champaign 90.1FM. This program features Old Time Country Music from the 1930s to the 1970s. Sat 5.00PM–8.00PM CDT (Central Daylight Time); 11pm Saturday to 2am Sunday British time. Listen live online at: http://spinitron.com/radio/playlist.php?station=weft&showid=316
[Country Chat] – each month, Archive founder Dave Barnes encloses a ‘Chatterbox’ newsletter with the package of new CDs posted out to our regular subscribers. You can read past ‘Chatterboxes’ here – back to April 2012 – each includes some brief words on each of the new CDs issued that month.